10 Facts That Prove America Is A Police State:
- With only 5% of the world’s population, US has 25% of world’s prison population.
- China, which has a population 4 times larger than that of the United States, comes in second with 14% of the world’s incarcerated population.
- More than 1 in every 100 American adults are incarcerated, the highest incarceration rate in the world.
- When divided by race, 1 in 106 white men are incarcerated while 1 in 36 Hispanic men, 1 in 15 black men and 1 in 9 for black men ages 20-34 are behind bars.
- It costs an average of $23,876 per year to incarcerate one inmate. That is more than twice the combined amount it costs to provide healthcare and education to one American.
- The United States spent $44 billion in tax dollars in 2007 on corrections.
- U.S. incarceration rates are significantly larger than those in any other liberal democracy.
- While violent crime decreased, incarceration rates sharply increased.
- Half of all inmates in state prisons are behind bars for non-violent offenses.
- If you include jails, 60 percent of inmates are nonviolent offenders.